Key identification features
- Smooth translucent white rhinophores, often with white surface marks.
- Cerata numerous, extend forwards of rhinophores in specimens over 8mm long .
- Powdery white dots on cerata concentrate into band distally .
- White surface pigment often on oral tentacles. .
- On Hydractina echinata, usually on shell of Hermit crab, but sometimes on hard substrate where strong current, or wave surge (EML).
References and links
Alder, J. & Hancock, A. 1845-1855. A monograph of the British nudibranchiate mollusca. London, Ray Society.
Thompson, T.E. & Brown, G.H. 1984. Biology of opisthobranch molluscs 2. London, Ray Society.
y: World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS
Irish distribution maps & prey organisms:
Picton, B.E. & Morrow, C.C., 2010. Encyclopedia of Marine Life of Britain and Ireland
Body (excluding appendages)