MORE DETAILED ACCOUNT AT https://flic.kr/s/aHsjLcvd6b
N.B embedded links are to images on Flickr. To return here, click 'back arrow' at top left of your screen, NOT 'Back to photostream'..
Relatively delicate shell up to about 10mm high. It has about 5 or 6 whorls with distinct sutures.
Key identification features
1) Columellar groove (“lacuna” or “chink) leading to umbilicus 6Lv flic.kr/p/gTk3By .
2) Well developed spire about 20% of shell height; body whorl about 83% of shell height when 3mm high 4Lv flic.kr/p/gTkQmP , about 79% when 10mm high 1Lv flic.kr/p/gTkbej
3) Body whorl has four brown spiral bands, basal pair easily overlooked if base of shell not examined 9Lv flic.kr/p/gTkQcF .
4) Body whitish with grey; may also have yellow, orange, aquamarine or verdigris parts 18Lv flic.kr/p/gTk92o .
1) Columellar groove (“lacuna” or “chink) leading to umbilicus flic.kr/p/gUSLhj .
2) Small spire; < 10% of shell height flic.kr/p/gUSLj3 .
3) Body whorl has three brown spiral bands, basal band easily overlooked if base of shell not examined flic.kr/p/gUSL2E Band 2 often wider than band 1 & 3. Some uniformly white flic.kr/p/gUSLj3 or brown with no bands.
4) Body translucent white, sprayed grey. No other colours except yellowish snout, and viscera showing through flic.kr/p/gUSLeU
1) Columellar groove (“lacuna” or “chink) leading to umbilicus flic.kr/p/gVXJHF .
2) Hardly any spire protrudes from body whorl; very large ‘D’ shape aperture flic.kr/p/gVWR5y .
3) Adult shell greenish-yellow flic.kr/p/gVXJGi ; juveniles yellow or whitish; no spiral bands.
4) Body white flic.kr/p/gVYn9Y, sometimes sprayed grey flic.kr/p/gVXJHF . Sometimes pink flic.kr/p/gVXJGi .
1) Wide white columellar shelf, but usually no groove or umbilicus flic.kr/p/gW3C7X ; sometimes small ones present.
2) Distinct spire about 25% of adult shell height; body whorl about 75% of shell height flic.kr/p/gW3C7X .
3) Shell when live, translucent, yellowish-brown spire, brownish-white body whorl and thick periostracum raised in distinct transverse (costal) ridges Lc flic.kr/p/gW4tzx . Dead shell, dull yellowish-brown if periostracum retained flic.kr/p/gW3CbK , yellowish white with faint spiral lines if periostracum worn off www.aphotomarine.com/snail_lacuna_crassior_thick.html .
4) Body translucent whitish flic.kr/p/gW4tzx .
Height of shell less than 4.3mm. In winter all, or most, L. vincta are bigger than C. trifasciata https://flic.kr/p/2d4RKAH . In summer L. vincta are rarely bigger than adult C. trifasciata https://flic.kr/p/2cZuiUu .
2) Solid, long, conical spire with almost straight sided profile.
1) No umbilicus or chink. https://flic.kr/p/ftEPif
3) Usually three brown or red-brown spiral bands on body whorl https://flic.kr/p/ftEPfj (one at columella an incomplete turn https://flic.kr/p/ftEPif ).
Single small metapodial tentacle extends from under operculum https://flic.kr/p/ftEPcw .
In crevices or under stones with silt, not on algae.
Gregarious, all sizes found together.
Often near high water mark, but all other levels also, including pools near LWS.